Space heaters account for about one-third of home heating fires
                             and 80 percent of home heating fire deaths annually
                                                  According to the National Fire Protection Association
As temperatures drop, families often look for alternative ways to generate heat throughout their homes.
While space heaters and fireplaces are good sources of warmth, they can be very dangerous. 
Families should use extreme caution with all alternative heating devices. According to the NFPA, heating
equipment is a leading cause of home fire deaths, with almost half of these fires occurring in the months
of December, January and February.  Common mistakes contribute to the majority of these fires, such as
placing flammable objects too close to heating equipment.

The NFPA recommends the following safety precautions when using heating equipment:

Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment such as a portable
space heater, fireplace, wood-burning stove or furnace. The three-foot safety zone includes furniture,
drapes, electronics—anything that can burn.

·       Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.

·       Never use your oven to heat your home.

·       Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment.

·       Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.

·       Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.

·       Never plug a space heater into a power strip or “multi-plug.”  Plug it directly into an outlet.

·       Do not overload extension cords or outlets and do not place an electrical cord under a rug.

·       Always use only the type of fuel specified by the manufacturer for fuel burning space heaters.

·       Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room.

    Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container.

     Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.

·       Do not burn Christmas tree branches, treated wood, or wrapping paper in a home fireplace.

·       Test smoke alarms monthly.

Smoke is the major killer in home fires...............

Working smoke alarms cut the risk of dying in a home fire by 50%, and that's important, because a home fire starts every 83 seconds! The faster you know about a fire, the faster you can start moving your family outside. But the dectector is useless if the batteries are not replaced yearly, and the unit is tested monthly. Replace the detector when 10 years old. Date of manufacture is on the back of the unit.

Carbon Monoxide detectors are just as important.............
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America, yet many people don't know they are suffering from CO poisoning until it's too late. Since symptoms of CO poisoning are like the flu, you might not even know you're in danger at first. That's why a carbon monoxide alarm is an excellent way to protect your family. It can detect the CO you can't see, smell or taste in the air.
CO detector is good for 10 years from date of manufacture. Date of manufacture is on the back of the unit. Some new detectors have a battery that lasts the 10 year life of the unit.


Extension Cords

Storage Flamables - updated January 2022